The strategic objectives of the institute include:
- to create a center of competence in Computer Science and Information Technology, concentrating the research efforts of university faculty and other competitive researchers
- to stimulate the output and quality of doctoral education in CS and IT by providing PhD students with a venue for knowledge dissemination and research
- to transfer state-of-the-art research and technology to the industry and train quality IT specialists, stimulating and stabilizing the local work force in the field
- to attract investments from Europe and increase the export capacity for IT products
- to accelerate the integration of the Timisoara region and of Romania in the scientific, technologic, economic and social European space.
Research and teaching at the institute is carried out by selected staff from the three academic institutions involved (RISC, UVT and UPT) which provides the scientific environment for graduate students.